Thursday, December 20, 2012

Taking the magic out of Christmas ... and bringing it back. Part 17.

"Look Doris, someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile."
~Fred Gailey (Miracle on 34th Street)

Part 17 is dedicated to Believing.  There is a very large part of me that believes in things like Santa Claus, fairy tales lives, happily ever afters and love at first sight.  I've been told that my beliefs are unrealistic and silly, even.  

As silly as it may seem, believing in these fantasies allows me to keep my inner child, well, young.  Think about how a child's face lights up when he or she sees Santa at Christmas time, the innocence of believing that one man is so powerful and magical, that never ceases to amaze me.  I love that innocence.  I love feeling that innocence.  It's not something that too many adults stop to experience.  I think that this is one thing that I inherited from my gram, her passion and love of the feeling of innocence.  Growing up, I never really seen that but since I've been on this journey of re-igniting the magic of Christmas in my heart over the last 17 days, she's been on my mind ... a lot. I realize just how much I miss her.  I realize just how empty my grandfather must feel every single day he lives to see another without her.  And, most importantly, I realize, even more so then ever before, just how important it is to appreciate making memories built on those of the past.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass but rather about learning to dance in the rain ... so let's dance, and sing and sit on Santa's lap even tho we are "too old".  Who dictates what the age limit is for visits to Santa, anyways?



And just for the record, I will always believe in happily ever afters and love at first sight.  You see, a happily ever after does not necessarily mean that your relationship is perfect, made of butterflies and warm and fuzzy slippers under a canopy bed, but rather a relationship where you are perfect for each other and you mean enough to each other to fight for what you believe in.  That is my happily after. 

Do you believe?

Peace, Love and Light,

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Body Is Perfect ... Models Needed

Does this sound like you?  "I'm fat."  "I wish I could just lose those last 10 pounds." "I'm ugly.&q...