Thursday, December 6, 2012

Taking the magic out of Christmas ... and bringing it back. Part 3.


"No! No! I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action 
Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!"
~Ralphie

Part 3 is dedicated to a tradition from my German roots.  The Christmas Pickle.  I don't entirely remember when this tradition began in my family, but it is something I have carried with me for as long as I can remember and enjoy with my girls. 

The legend of the Christmas Pickle says that the pickle, a symbol of good luck, was the last ornament placed on the tree (hidden deep inside the middle somewhere).  The first child to find the pickle on Christmas morning was rewarded with an extra gift left by St. Nicolas.  This tradition encourages children to appreciate all the beautiful ornaments on the tree, rather then just rushing to see what Santa has left for them. 


I can remember when we were kids, we'd go and get our tree, then we'd have to let it settle (so the ornaments didn't fall off when the branches dropped, or at least that was the excuse LOL) then when the tree was ready, we'd decorate it and the pickle was always the last ornament to go on the tree before we put our topper on.  I was always so excited when we put the pickle on the tree.  I think it was because it was just an odd ornament, a pickle.  But still, a tradition that we shared together as a family.  

A few years ago, I handed out Christmas Pickles to all of my family and close friends (who didn't already have one) so that I could share a favorite family tradition with all of them.  There are certain theories that this was not actually a German tradition, but one that originated in the USA, I still keep it in the German part of my heart ♥

What's your favorite family tradition? 


Peace, Love and Light, 

Christine
http://www.lifetimememorieswny.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Body Is Perfect ... Models Needed

Does this sound like you?  "I'm fat."  "I wish I could just lose those last 10 pounds." "I'm ugly.&q...